4/12/2009

What You Think is What You See

1. If the maps around you showed the existence of the Northwest Passage, would you believe it? Why?
I could believe that. In my image, the map shows the right concept. I don't know the right histories about the Northwest Passage. The map told me the existence of the Northwest Passage. I think I will believe the map. If I look at the map, my ideas will follow the map.

2. If you were John Cabot and someone told you the Northwest Passage didn't exist. What would you say? What would you feel? How would you react?
If someone told me the Northwest Passage didn't exist. I will feel some surprising and have some doubt. I think I should not only hear one's advices. It is bias. I will say it maybe right. I don't accept the ideas but I will verify the information. I won't get a conclusion early. If I won't get more information about that, I will not act. Maybe both of them have something wrong.

3. Find a map by Humphrey Gilbert from 1582. What do you see in the picture? Explain.
There are two balls in the picture. Maybe they are two earth. They connect each other. The lands almost connect too. On the left of the picture. The earth shows the lands of Europe, the Africa and the Asia. They are almost like a map of today. The lands of them are connect. I can see the ocean surround the lands. The right part of the picture shows the 4 lands of the earth. The outline of the lands are looks like the North America and the South America. The other parts may are the island of the pacific ocean. The map is brown. I think it is old.

4. Why did the Northwest Passage suit the goals (agenda) of the European explorers and monarchs?
The Northwest Passage start at the Europe and end at the north of Canada.It is a mature way for explorers from the European to explore Canada.I think it is the best way of sailed from the Europe to Canada. Choosing a right route for the explorers is important. The route of the Northwest Passage is the shortest. It is safety. When explorer sailed on the Northwest Passage, they can pass any other countries. It is unexpected harvest for the explorers.

5. Feedback loops help us to see reality as a system. Can you think of an example of a feedback loop from your own life? Look at page 225 of your textbook to help you.
The information of the society is important for everyone. We get the news from many different ways. I am a Chinese high school student. Now, I am studying in an international school. In my country. This kind of school is not very common. My mother get the information of the school from a book that is about all the schools in Beijing. It is an example about the feedback loops from my school and the society.

6. What did you learn so far about explorers and the colonization of Canada?
I learn about the explorers and the colonization of Canada. The exploration about Canada and the search for Northwest Passage. The most famous explorers named John Cabot and Jacques Cartier. They dedicated for the colonization. In 1840, the King of British told John Cabot to explore the new land. He knew it is important for a strong country. No doubt, it was full of difficult. John Cabot sailed twice. He wanted to colonized for England. Jacques Cartier is another great explorer of Europe. He came from France. When he arrived in Canada, he made the fur trade with the Native People in there. He tried to find Japan. He made the map for a part of Canada. He claimed a place which he landed first time in Canada, it is a part of France. I also know some information about the Northwest Passage. It is an important passage for European to sail to Northwest America. They found the passage and use it long time. It is one of the most important role for histories of explore.

1 comment:

  1. 12/12

    Excellent entry! Thank you! The excellent Cristine is here!!!!!

    ReplyDelete